Healing Salve | Forum

Birch
Birch Apr 20 '16
Now, this of course should be used in caution with anyone who has sensitivities to the ingredients. It can also be adjusted depending on the need. Calendula is always a key ingredient for my salves as well as plantain. 

However when I make a salve for cold sores I use straight Lemon Balm and  add in Myrrh powder. When I want to make a salve for baby's bottom I use two parts Calendula and one part plantain. 

When I want a salve for rashes for adults as well I would use one part calendula, one part St. John's Wort, one part Comfrey and one part Plantain with some myrrh thrown in also (it is a microbial) . Here is a basic recipe and process. This one uses Comfrey leaf and it is often recommended to not use on open sores because it can speed healing too quickly - however I use this as a general purpose for all things in my family. 

In this recipe let's say that a part is 1 cup. Some people may go by weight but I generally use measurement in cups/tbsp etc. 

2 parts Calendula

1 part Plantain

1 part Comfrey (root is more potent, but use what you feel comfortable with)

1 part St. John's wort

1 tsp Myrrh

Put in a large jar and cover with enough Cold Pressed Olive Oil to leave about an inch above the dried product. I press the dried herb/myrrh mixture down with a spoon. 

At this point you can a- cover with plastic wrap and elastic band and put in the greenhouse or on a sunny windowsill for 6 weeks, OR :

Using a double boiler, or a pot that fits/floats well within another upon the water without spilling, add your oil and herb mixture bringing the water in the lower pot to a simmer. For my stove this is normally a med-low. Stand nearby and be prepared to stir/move about the mixture regularly over the next few hours - being sure not to cook the herb, and do not let the oil bubble. Not only will you cook your oil rather than infuse the herbs but it is a flash fire risk.

I generally do this for about 5 hours, some people do it for 3 hours.

At this point in time, whether your jar has been sitting for 6 weeks, or sitting on the stove for 5 hours, its time to strain the product. 

Using cheesecloth over a strainer over a measuring cup, (perfect if the strainer can sit on the top of the measuring cup) pour the oil and herb into it - bit by bit if its a large amount and small strainer - squeeze the oil out (with clean hands of course ;) ) and for each 8 oz of oil you get, use 1 oz of beeswax, either grated or in pellet form. Use a kitchen scale to weigh out the bees wax.

Once all is strained, return it to the heat, keeping it warm enough only to melt the beeswax that you will now have added to it, and s soon as the beeswax has melted into the oil  fully, remove from heat, add a few capsules (poke them/cut them carefully and squeeze) of Vit E to help preserve the salve and pour into tins or jars. 
Be sure to wipe water off the bottom of the pot before you pour it into anything, as water condensation getting into the salve will cause it to spoil faster. 

The Forum post is edited by Birch Apr 20 '16